Birds of a Feather….

Finding a teacher who has used cell phones and or mobile devices in the classroom as the sole source of technology for a project is akin to finding a needle in a haystack, especially with teachers in my school.  The school where I work is very much a “NO PHONES” type of school.  It has only during the past two years that some flexibility in regards to mobile devices for educational purposes in the classroom has been allowed and that is on a teacher by teacher basis.  So it was slim pickings when it came to finding a like minded peer.  To say I was on the cutting edge here at my school (me?!) would not be too far off the mark.  Fortunately, there is one other teacher who is beginning to use mobile devices, including iPads and personal student devices in the classroom more frequently and with much success.

I sat down with Stacy Weiss, Science teacher at PDSD and interviewed her on her experiences (personal communication, November 2016).  Attached is a link to the interview, it is in ASL, not spoken English, but is relatively easy to follow.  Before I arrived at the school for the Deaf, Stacy was the de facto technology person in the high school department.   She is not opposed to technology, just the lack of resources and support for teachers.  She has stated that she likes all of the avenues that the school has provided in regards to technology (iPads, laptops, SMART boards, Apple TV, etc), but the staff that is tasked with monitoring and servicing these devices is lacking in knowledge.   It is worth noting that we are a predominately Mac campus with a knowledgeable PC tech department.   The staff has no desire to go PC based and the IT department has no desire to be Mac, it is a unique situation in which Stacy shares that it often affects her ability to plan and teach successfully.   Stacy discusses in this interview that she has had struggles getting projects off the ground for several reasons, many relating to the school’s unclear policies as well as a disconnect with the IT department.   Stacy has, in the past,  used her classroom iPads as a means to create and share such things as Google Docs, Slides and Power points and has used mobile apps such as Thinglink.  Stacy shares that limited parent interaction, lack of internet access at home as well as the fact that iPads are required to remain on campus at all times is also a major concern when developing projects.   As the Science teacher, she has had students develop parts of their projects online and used in their presentations.   Due to the policies of our school and that fact that student who are under 18 need to have parental permission, her project does not have an online presence, although she has expressed a desire to create something like this in the future.  She feels that educating the parents is just as vital as  While it is a struggle, Stacy admits that it is worth the outcome.  She would like to see it be an easier process, but realizes that it takes time.

I felt better after my conversation with Stacy.   I have experienced many of the same issues that Stacy has faced.  Being one of only a handful of teachers on my campus who actively use technology, I was nice to know I was not alone.  Stacy has been a teacher at our school longer than I have been and she has more insight in some of the policies instituted in the school.  Having a chance to talk with her in this capacity shed some light on those specific policies.   It was also insightful to learn about specific iPad policies for the school, especially since I hope to get iPads in my classroom next year.  I am hopeful that as more and more teachers become comfortable, the administration will accept these changes and allow policy to change as well.